Friday, October 5, 2018

Video of my return to Cheppy

     Now that I'm back in the United States, I have access to a computer and plan to add a few more details.  I will begin with this video of the drive into Cheppy on September 26.  I uploaded to YouTube.  The video is taken from the same direction as Dad would have gone from Buzemont, from west to east.  It begins at the Missouri Memorial outside Cheppy.  The fact that the memorial was put in this spot in 1922 by men who fought there tends to confirm that this division's route into Cheppy.  My guess is that this road was there in 1918 although the mayor told me that the Germans had built a small railroad track here to supply munitions to the fortifications on Butte Vauquois.  About 10 seconds into the video, you will see a bridge on the road.  The mayor said this is the ravine that Dad and Truman referred to.  Again, my guess is that elements of the 35th Division, not just Dad's machine gun company, must have camped along the ravine where they might get water to bathe (not drink) from the small stream.  As the video continues, you see the sign "Cheppy" at the outskirts of the village.  Next is the German kitchen, and the camera pans to it behind the house of the woman who showed it to us. Then left into the village and another left to "downtown" Cheppy and la mairie, the mayor's office.
Returning to Cheppy on September 26

No comments:

Post a Comment